Betta Bred

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Betta Bred

+6
kel
MandyD
Teri
Storm
Time-Out
betta1
10 posters

Just Started another spawn !

kel
    kel
    Admin

Just Started another spawn ! - Page 3 Empty Re: Just Started another spawn !

Post by kel Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:29 pm

congratulations Smile
    Storm
    Admin

Post by Storm Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:32 pm

Glad hes being a great dad mate Smile
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:07 pm

Loads of fry, some are starting to free swim already, and others you can still see the egg on them. How long should i leave the dad in for ? Another 2-3 days ?
    kel
    kel
    Admin

Post by kel Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:11 am

Once the majority are free swimming, usually day 2-3 from hatch

Could probably remove him this evening or tomz morning Wink

this is also when you feed them first foods.. days 3-7 green water/infusoria/microworms/egg yolk spray etc.

From day 7 they should be able to take fresh hatched brine shrimp or adult food grinded into dust.. this is when the hard work for you begins lol
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:07 am

Taken the dad out this afternoon. I gave them some micro worms just after. When should i feed them next and how many times a day. Last time i only fed them twice a day.
    kel
    kel
    Admin

Post by kel Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:16 am

more is better, I try to aim for 6 times a day for the first month , but really as often as you can manage
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:36 am

Many thanks. this might sound a silly question but what is a comfortable amount to feed them ? I laways worry that i either over feed or dont give them enough.
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:43 pm

Just an update the fry are 3 weeks old today and i still have well over 80 left. They are a good size 5-6 mm.
    I have found a few dead ones this past week but id say on average only about 3 a day.
    Ive got a heater but no power points im going to get an extension lead. The temp flutuates a little between 73-76. Ive been doing water changes everyday.
    Am i doing everything ok ?
    Bettanut
    Bettanut
    orange rose tail

Post by Bettanut Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:03 pm

I'd say your doing well. If you haven't got your heater in, i'd get it in there as fast as possible. Temps in a rearing tank are usually around 80..it helps the labyrinth organ develop the more heat you can keep in there.
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:40 pm

Just over 4 weeks and ive still got loads of fry. The tank their in is18x6x9. its nearly full , theres about 1 inch left.

When should i move some into a grow out tank ?
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:30 am

Can anyone advise please ?
    kel
    kel
    Admin

Post by kel Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:51 am

they're a month old now so past the worst stage

I would make sure your temperatures match and move a few of the biggest first... ( add them with plenty of the breeding tank water to lessen water stats fluctuations) see how they go then move a few more

if you can let the smallest stay where they are a bit longer they should grow a bit quicker and catch up.
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:31 am

Thanks for the info Kel. What do you use as a grow out when you dont have any room in your tanks ?
    kel
    kel
    Admin

Post by kel Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:34 am

mainly 60 or 80ltr storage tubs

cheap and easy
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:59 pm

Thanks again Kel. Im off to thailand very soon, cant wait to see the home of Bettas.
    kel
    kel
    Admin

Post by kel Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:45 pm

I hope you're gonna take loads of pics! Wink
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:32 am

Oh yes. I just cant wait to see them in their orgin bounce
    kel
    kel
    Admin

Post by kel Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:37 am

where all in Thailand are you visiting?

I might know a few breeders in the area who I could put you in contact with to go visit Wink

btw when are you heading off as I'm away on Sunday for a week myself

nowhere as exotic as thailand though Sad
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:28 pm

Im going to my wifes home Nakon pathom which is supposed to be like a breeding capital of fighters. Im also going to bangkok, hua hin and maybe up north.

Bth its not all pleasure my other passion turned profession is Muay Thai so im going out there again to train with the best and fight. Somtimes it hurts lol
    Teri
    Teri
    red double tail

Post by Teri Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:36 pm

Ohhh that sounds painful...............

Make sure you take plenty of pics mind Smile
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:49 pm

Its is at times. Last time i fought there i got 8 stitches in the front of my head from an elbow. Luckly it was worth it as i won Smile
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:00 am

Forgot to ask Kel where abouts are the breeders in Thailand that you know ?
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:01 am

After 2 and a half months and i have over 25 fry left. Ive moved them into a bigger tank a 16 x 11 x 11.
    Theres s few fry that are an inch in lengh and some are still tiny. Would i be better moving some of the big ones into jars so the smaller ones can grow quicker. They arent showing any aggression towards each other yet either.

Any advice would be much appriciated.
    jessie1602
    jessie1602
    crowntail

Post by jessie1602 Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:00 am

Congrats on getting your fry to 2.5months! :-)

Hmmm, you've just moved them into a 36L tank after 2.5 months? 36L is small for growing fry. What size aquarium were they in before?
    Betta fry release hormones into the water that stunt their siblings growth, so the bigger than growout tank, the bigger the fry will get. How often do you do water changes? Regular water changes will give your fry a good growth spurt. You could try doing 20% or more a day or every other day.
    I really would try to get them a bigger tank though, it will make the world of difference to their growth, and it'll mean less water changes for you...36L will mean daily water changes if you want them to catch up in size.

Good luck, I can't wait til my current spawns get bigger too :-)
    Chard56
    Chard56
    armageddon hm

Post by Chard56 Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:49 am

I have some half giants that are 4 months old and I just separated the males. They weren't showing signs of aggression even at that age but I needed the tank and put the females in with another group of girls of a different color. The fry from my Red Halfmoon spawn on the other hand, I had to start separating at 2 months as they were tearing each others fins already. I keep my fry in 10 gallon tanks and do water changes once a week depending on the size of the fry and the amount. The more fry and the bigger they are the more water needs to be changed. They get moved to 20's 25's and 30 gallon tanks as they grow. Keeping any excess food and waste off the bottom helps cuts down on water changes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:30 am