Betta Bred

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Betta Bred

5 posters

Red dragons from Kelly

Bluejax
    small fry

Red dragons from Kelly Empty Red dragons from Kelly

Post by Bluejax Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:55 pm

I had the good fortune to meet Kelly for the first time yesterday and pick up this pair of red dragons, who I am pretty much planning to spawn straight away.

The male is lovely, easily OHM. Shame about the narrow dorsal base, but I guess I'll have to work on finnage further down the line.

The female seems very long in the body, but she's a big fish, which means more eggs and fry. Looking at the shape of her caudal I wouldn't be surprised if she carries some DT, as it's almost lobed in appearance (her dorsal isn't wide like classic DT carriers though, so who knows). Either way, with her I'm more interested in here genotype than phenotype.

I let them play for a bit before putting her in the chimney (it was 1am at this point!)

Today I'll see whether he's built a nest under the almond leaf I gave them and if so, I'll let her out for a bit to see if they spawn. Both seemed very active last night, so obviously not to worried about my fishroom water conditions.

Watch this space!
    Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Red dragons from Kelly Empty Re: Red dragons from Kelly

Post by Nataliey Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:58 am

They are a beautiful pair of dragons and will give you gorgeous fry Very Happy
    Bluejax
    small fry

Post by Bluejax Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:18 am

Well, he's been very busy with his bubblenest all day after I let her out of the chimney! He's much more feisty with her now - more what I'd expect from a red fish.

She's got a couple of tears in her fins now, but very clean ones so not worried about them healing. Probably I'll put her back in the chimney tonight and let her out tomorrow morning for spawning - whenever I spawn bettas they always seem to prefer first thing in the morning when the sun is shining.

They had another big daphnia feed today, so she's got plenty of fuel for egg production.

Fingers crossed for eggs tomorrow.
    Plakat Morh
    Plakat Morh
    halfmoon

Post by Plakat Morh Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:51 am

good luck!
    2tall
    2tall
    black dragon

Post by 2tall Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:35 am

Hope it goes well!
    Kamaljot
    Kamaljot
    halfmoon

Post by Kamaljot Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:47 am

Good luck breeding
    Bluejax
    small fry

Post by Bluejax Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:05 am

Didn't chimney her in the end, she seems okay right now so I'll give them an opportunity to spawn whenever they like tomorrow morning then if it fails I'll be conditioning them separately.
    Bluejax
    small fry

Post by Bluejax Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:56 pm

Boo! No spawn. Guess there a spawning trigger missing (air pressure?). Oh well, at least they are getting on ok. I think the female just needs to get in the right frame of mind, because the male is definitely in 'the zone'. lol

She's back in the chimney for now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:00 pm