Betta Bred

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Betta Bred

3 posters

Help identifying betta boy?

Erica
    wriggler

Help identifying betta boy? Empty Help identifying betta boy?

Post by Erica Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:12 am

Hello everyone, this is my betta boy (Neo) ! I was hoping some of you more experienced Betta keepers may know a little about his colouring. I thought he was quite striking. Pictures dont really do him justice (please see below) he looks many colours of pink, silver, emerald and sometimes a dark gold though his finnage stays the same. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me a little about his colouring. All I know is he really struck me with his vivid changing colours so..... I had to buy him.

Hope someone can help. Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    [b]
    kel
    kel
    Admin

Help identifying betta boy? Empty Re: Help identifying betta boy?

Post by kel Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:10 am

he's copper based, but he's definately a breeder's 'between' male, you got the winning lucky dip from the lfs bulk!

he's not true pk as he has more than 2 rays but also not a proper hmpk as he doesn't have sharp enough tail sides..this isn't a bad thing, you got a bargain from lfs as he has loads of breeding potential and if thinking of breeding you could easily work between pk, hmpk and hm

he's very pretty Smile

I know you could have show babies from him with the right female! brilliant find!
    2tall
    2tall
    black dragon

Post by 2tall Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:38 am

Very handsome Betta you have there!
    Erica
    wriggler

Post by Erica Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:29 pm

Thank you everyone, I think Neo is definately tank Eye Candy! But then I spuppose I am quite biased. I appreciate your comments and help a lot THANKYOU Smile
    Erica
    wriggler

Post by Erica Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:10 am

Hi found this picture via google, I think the fourth picture, copper imbellis looks very much like an older version of him, a wild type betta? What do you all think? Comments Welcome please? Smile

Erica x

kel
    kel
    Admin

Post by kel Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:58 am

the imbellis has been bred into the splenden genepool many times before but i don't think he's from a recent crossing.

the metallic colourings have all came from wild crossings, usually either with imbellis, smargadina and mahachai.

have a look here at theses species including the wild betta splendens, the colour differences are quite subtle between the wild forms...

Erica
    wriggler

Post by Erica Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:28 am

Wow! I have learnt a lot today. Thankyou for the links. I had to look up what you meant by 'rays' as I had no clue but I see now, he does have more than two branches. He has a long slender body like imbellis and no black markings on his gills I can see, though he is fast so I only went on the photos. Gill plates look one colour, greenish though he has a speckled caudal tail and dorsals so.... here's the question for neyo, the question that drives me, the question that brought me here ( hee hee... true matrix fan Very Happy ) what do you think his parentage was?

kel
    kel
    Admin

Post by kel Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:06 am

colour wise you get all his colouring in the usual tail types...

at some stage in the previous 3 generations there has been a halfmoon x pk cross

or possibly more recently (parent/grandparent) hmpk x pk cross

there's no way of knowing without asking the actual breeder as any tail crossings will produce various tail types for possibly a few generations, a lot also depends on whether they were aiming for a specific traits or just a random breeding.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:15 pm