Betta Bred

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Betta Bred

+4
Storm
jessie1602
sgraye
magzmoir
8 posters

Ive got wrigglers !

magzmoir
    magzmoir
    king crown

Ive got wrigglers ! - Page 2 Empty Re: Ive got wrigglers !

Post by magzmoir Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:15 am

Thanks Smile

With them being HMPK's I just know Im gonna have trouble sexing these guys lol. Some I can see already have egg spots and the ones Im assuming are males have very pointed wedge shaped anal fins and longer ventrals. Does anyone have more tips for sexing ?
    Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Post by Nataliey Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:51 am

Well done Magz they are fantastic so gorgeous Very Happy
    magzmoir
    magzmoir
    king crown

Post by magzmoir Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:30 pm

I know its been a while but heres an update Smile I've now Jarred 4 males and sat them next to each other on top of the aquarium. They have started flaring at each other and now look like thier daddy but smaller Smile

Atm I have 7 males and 7 females (I think) they still seem small to me so Im hoping that more regular water changes and feeding some more live foods will boost growth a little. Theres one boy Im definately going to keep, hes got full dragon scaling and is nice and big (also aggressive lol). I will be keeping a few of the females as well to breed with my second dragon HMPK when they get big enough.

..... I know I know I'll get some pictures up Laughing
    kel
    kel
    Admin

Post by kel Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:43 am

Another thing Im wondering, I bred these from HM parents the babies dont look to be half moon atm, will the tails continue to develop ? I know you dont get 100% HM from a HM spawn but I was hoping to see a couple.

I know you mentioned hm but parents are actually hmpk? If so then you may not got any long finned babies depending on how far back the generations the original hm x pk cross was done.

With your babies being light coloured you may be able to see the egg sac outline right behind the belly on the females, its a better indicator of sex than the egg spot and finnage.

finnage continues to grow until around 6-9 months old depending on their rate of development but tail type and spread should be obvious at around 3-4 months for average sized fry.

Looking forward to the updated pictures! Very Happy
    magzmoir
    magzmoir
    king crown

Post by magzmoir Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:03 am

Thnx Kel I actually meant HMPK as in short fin but with halfmoon spread sorry for not being very clear Smile I didnt expect to get any long fin babies from the spawn. A couple of the males when they flare look to be HMPK or close to it but most seem to be under the 180 degree angle I was wondering if that would contiue to develop as they grow. These babies are approx 4 months old now, still a little on the small side, roughly what age should I be looking to sell them at (if anyone would be interested ofc).

Anyway heres a few pictures -

2 males (?) sizing one another up
    Ive got wrigglers ! - Page 2 IMG_0507

A very sucky picture of the boy I want to keep, atm he has the closest to the 180 tail spread and has the best scaling of all the males.
    Ive got wrigglers ! - Page 2 IMG_0506

Same boy,
    Ive got wrigglers ! - Page 2 IMG_0501

One of the males showing off to a female ( I think lol), naughty boy gonna have to pull him out soon.
    Ive got wrigglers ! - Page 2 IMG_0508

Same boy after been snubbed by the female lol
    Ive got wrigglers ! - Page 2 IMG_0510
    kel
    kel
    Admin

Post by kel Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:13 am

it looks like some of your males may be ordinary pk, pic above... that boy looks like he's got 2 ray branching

2 rays are pk
    4 are hmpk

also remember hm spread doesn't breed true you will always get varying degrees of spread

why people will often describe them as lines

eg. pk male from hmpk lines, many others won't even label the fin type and just show the parents as say male from whichever line the parents are.
    magzmoir
    magzmoir
    king crown

Post by magzmoir Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:27 am

Aha I see so Id advertise these as PK from HMPK parents. The next male I want to breed from is deffo HMPK (got him from Time-out hes an absolute stunner) I just need to get a female up to breeding size/age. Its more difficult for me to tell which of the females has better finnage lol

Ive put one female baby into the sorority with the others, had her in a trap in beside them for a few days before releasing her. Shes shy but I havent seen any of the big girls picking on her. I may add more provided she does well in there.

Got loads of questions lol, Whats the best age to think about breeding a female at ? When should I think about selling them ? I know I can get the heat pks from you Kel but do you still do the bags for shipping ? Ive already got a few polyboxes some from times fish and some good ones from work.
    Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Post by Nataliey Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:15 am

WOW they are so grown up from the last photos you put on here...well done mine are only just over a month old now looking forward to when mine are that big Very Happy
    kel
    kel
    Admin

Post by kel Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:45 am

you can breed them from about 4 months upwards although the older and bigger they are the bigger the eggs and bigger fry from birth... the ideal is more around the 8-9 month old mark but people rarely wait that long due to the possibility of need a few attempts.. s month between spawning attempts soon add up!

selling you would want them around the 2" size, big enough to breed. This could be at 4 months or even 6 depending on their development rate.

yes i can sort you bags but give me a bit of notice as i need to get more in soon and they take up to two weeks to arrive (i also get my 4" bags from thailand lol)
    Storm
    Admin

Post by Storm Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:57 am

There looking great Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:28 pm