Betta Bred

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Betta Bred

+5
Storm
kel
Teri
Chard56
kazzabaileyanna
9 posters

My first dabble!!

kazzabaileyanna
    kazzabaileyanna
    plakat

My first dabble!! Empty My first dabble!!

Post by kazzabaileyanna Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:59 am

well as we speak I am sprawled out on the floor watching my little breeding tank...
    I have a male hm salamander, and a red hm female.
    He has a bubble nest going which he keeps adding to.. so I let the female out and he keeps flaring at her but hes not being aggressive so I take it as a good sign!

She doesnt seem overly interested, although when she goes near the nest he starts showing off and "rounding" her up..

should i leave her out all night? or put her back in the trap because they seem fine at the moment..?
    Very Happy

kayleigh
    Chard56
    Chard56
    armageddon hm

My first dabble!! Empty Re: My first dabble!!

Post by Chard56 Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:08 am

There is no fighting going on at night which is when I usually put them together. Sometimes at first light they start spawning and are done before noon. It also may take a few days for him to talk her into it.
    Teri
    Teri
    red double tail

Post by Teri Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:16 am

Myself and this is purely my own view..
    I wouldnt leave her out all night. I like to be able to keep a real good eye on whats going on..
    kel
    kel
    Admin

Post by kel Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:28 am

With it being your first attempt I would remove her last thing before lights out and release again first thing in the morning.

If she's not ready she will hide but it can take a day or two before they actually spawn so no point risking her getting damaged overnight.

As terri said too.. it's def something you'll be fascinated by when they start wrapping. Why miss it?
    Storm
    Admin

Post by Storm Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:34 am

Glad to see a few members going for fry, whatever you do keep us posted Smile
    kazzabaileyanna
    kazzabaileyanna
    plakat

Post by kazzabaileyanna Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:54 am

Laughing Your right I dont want to miss the action so I will be putting her back in the trap for tonight. Bless him... hes making such an effort!

I will keep you all posted!

kayleigh
    Storm
    Admin

Post by Storm Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:56 am

Make sure you do or ill press my ban button, dont forget the pictures lmaooooooo laugh
    silverrabbit
    silverrabbit
    red butterfly

Post by silverrabbit Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:44 am

This sounds like a really pretty spawn
    Chard56
    Chard56
    armageddon hm

Post by Chard56 Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:00 pm

I don't see what the problem is with leaving the female in with the male all night. After all they don't make night vision goggles for Betta's. But what do I know I've only been breeding Betta's for 40 years and have had 16 successfull spawns in the last 3 months without losing any fish due to being torn up in the process.
    Time-Out
    Time-Out
    green marble butterfly

Post by Time-Out Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:06 pm

I leave mine in over night as they always seem to prefer the early hours of the morning for spawning. More privacy, I guess lol
    Teri
    Teri
    red double tail

Post by Teri Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Chard56 wrote:I don't see what the problem is with leaving the female in with the male all night. After all they don't make night vision goggles for Betta's. But what do I know I've only been breeding Betta's for 40 years and have had 16 successfull spawns in the last 3 months without losing any fish due to being torn up in the process.

I didnt say there was a problem doing that Chard.. I said in my own opinion I wouldnt... Dont forget this is her first spawn, I know when I spawn mine, I want to be able to watch them. Sorry I find it interesting..
    Chard56
    Chard56
    armageddon hm

Post by Chard56 Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:49 am

I recommend watching to be sure all goes smoothly but they aren't going to spawn in the dark. It's only a "get to know " each other in the dark to make a gentler transition to spawning. You can put her back in a floating cup in the morning until such time as you can watch the event.
    kel
    kel
    Admin

Post by kel Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:58 am

I only mention it as it's a first time spawning. Its exciting to watch and all adds experience.

I often leave them loose overnight although there's the odd times I don't when I know I've a particularly vicious male.

For a first time breeder I would still recommend cupping overnight.. you're still learning to tell the signs of how ready they are and the last thing you want is to wake up to a dead or severly battered fish purely through inexperience.

Storm
    Admin

Post by Storm Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:41 pm

How is everything going?
    kazzabaileyanna
    kazzabaileyanna
    plakat

Post by kazzabaileyanna Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:53 am

well theyre still in the breeding tank... Neutral

and still nothing.. i let her out a few times a day, the bubble nest gets bigger and bigger but i dont think he knows what hes doing lol he swims over asif to say "look at my nest" and then flares at her.
    sometimes theyre calm and fine with eachother, the next hes chasing her around and trying to nip her lol..
    any ideas? should i give it a rest?
    silverrabbit
    silverrabbit
    red butterfly

Post by silverrabbit Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:15 am

How long do you leave her out for? The chasing is normal, they'll get past that if you leave them out together for long enough Smile
    MandyD
    MandyD
    orange rose tail

Post by MandyD Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:03 am

I agree, leave her out as much as possible as long as their no sever beating up going on. When I did my last spawn I went out and left the female out with the male (he was quite gently) after being in and out the trap for a few days, and by the time I got back they had spawned! Was gutted to miss it, but just shows sometimes you have to take the risk and leave them to it a bit Laughing
    magzmoir
    magzmoir
    king crown

Post by magzmoir Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:45 am

Im having the same problem with 3 pairs Ive tried lol, if I dont get a spawn soon Im gonna give up for a few weeks to let them relax and recondition them. My plakat pair almost went for it, they wrapped about half a dozen times then the female seemed to loose interest and started munching what little amount of eggs there was and destroyed the nest Sad
    kel
    kel
    Admin

Post by kel Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:19 am

I'd take her out, isolate her out of view of other fish, make sure he can't see others either for 3 days then go back to the chimney with her.

might be enough to make a bit more interest.
    kazzabaileyanna
    kazzabaileyanna
    plakat

Post by kazzabaileyanna Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:00 am

OMG it happened while i was at work... and i noticed the male acting wierd so i took a closer look and he was EATING the eggs!!! so I took both the male and female out...(not sure if thats the right thing to do but hey?!)
    BUT....
    This happy little accident happened in my DIVIDED tank Shocked (they maaged to get to eachother somehow..
    so what shall i do??????? take the bubble nest and eggs out and put them in there own tank? or leave them in the divided section... do I put Methayn Blue in to stop the eggs from dying?
    I dont have a clue because im not prepared lol.

HELP!! Very Happy
    Storm
    Admin

Post by Storm Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:19 am

As silver has said in another post, are you sure he was eating or just cleaning?

Anyways i would lower water level and try getting the eggs in a breeding trap as kel said.

GOODLUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:25 pm