Betta Bred

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Betta Bred

+6
kel
MandyD
Teri
Storm
Time-Out
betta1
10 posters

Just Started another spawn !

betta1
    veiltail

Just Started another spawn ! - Page 2 Empty Re: Just Started another spawn !

Post by betta1 Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:42 am

Just got in from work and had a quick peek. The eggs are still there, Fingers crossed. Ive got another pair of VT and ive had the male eat the eggs twice after 24 hrs so im still a little nervous.
    magzmoir
    magzmoir
    king crown

Post by magzmoir Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:15 am

Good luck mate hope it goes smooth for you Smile
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:07 pm

Woke up this morning, had a quick peek and the eggs are still there. So far so good. I know im not out of the woods yet though.
    kel
    kel
    Admin

Post by kel Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:56 pm

Very Happy
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:22 am

24 + hours on and the Eggs are still there. The male has moved the nest from one corner to another, ive heard this is normal. The only black cloud today is i think my male betta simplex is dying hes getting worse by the hour Crying or Very sad
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:31 pm

The eggs are still there but they havnt hatched yet im getting worried as it will have been 48hrs this afternoon. I really want this spawn to be a success.
    Storm
    Admin

Post by Storm Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:38 pm

what temp is your tank at, they should be starting to hatch now mate.
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:34 pm

Im not 100% as i dont have a heater in there because my room is very warm and its only a small tank. I would guess its around the 75-78 mark.
    Storm
    Admin

Post by Storm Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:20 pm

Well mate that could be the problem, it may be just to cool for the eggs to hatch.
    Bettanut
    Bettanut
    orange rose tail

Post by Bettanut Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:46 pm

Your tank really should be around 80 for breeding.
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:21 pm

Oh no. I didnt think a tank that small would need a heater this time of year. It will have been 48hrs around 5 oclock. I hope i get somthing from this one Sad
    Time-Out
    Time-Out
    green marble butterfly

Post by Time-Out Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:24 pm

I once had eggs hatch after 3 days. Maybe try moving them to a windowsill? Or the kitchen, or a small room with a space heater...
    Storm
    Admin

Post by Storm Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:24 pm

Look very closely, you should see tails starting to wriggle now.
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:38 pm

I cant see any tails as yet, how ever the male is tending to the nest. I cant move the tank anywhere as ill disturb the nest. But the tanks are very near a heater so ive switched it on. Fingers crossed.
    kel
    kel
    Admin

Post by kel Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:42 pm

cooler temps will make them take longer to hatch.. hopefully this time tomz they'll be little wrigglers Smile
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:47 pm

I really hope so. The male would have eaten the eggs if they were infertile wouldnt he ? for all the advice eveyrone by the way.
    kel
    kel
    Admin

Post by kel Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:53 pm

if they were infertile and male didn't eat them you would expect to see them starting to show fungus by now so I doubt they're infertile

if you can get a close view of them you may see the odd egg starting to wobble
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:13 am

Cant really see them wobble but they certainly dont look like they have any fungus on them.
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:47 am

Yes. Ive just seen some eggs wobble now and again, I think they might be hatching woooo. Fingers crossed.
    Bettanut
    Bettanut
    orange rose tail

Post by Bettanut Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:51 am

Thats great betta1....lets hope you have lots of wrigglers over the next few hours Just Started another spawn ! - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
    Chard56
    Chard56
    armageddon hm

Post by Chard56 Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:47 am

I've had them hatch in under 32 hours and as long as 52 depending on the temperature of the water. Most Betta's will breed in whatever temperature they are kept at. As long as it's not extreme. So between 75 and 88 degrees. The warmer the water the quicker the eggs will hatch. Over 90 will often kill them though.
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:20 am

Thanks for the info. The eggs are moving more and more, its been about 49 hrs. Will the fry be ok in that tank without a heater ? Also how long will they be ok in this tank before i have to move them ? Its a 18 x 6 x 9. So happy i found this forum, its the best Very Happy
    Time-Out
    Time-Out
    green marble butterfly

Post by Time-Out Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:54 am

They should be ok for a little while. I've tried breeding in 10L before and the fry all died from bad water quality. They were far to small for me to risk siphoning.
    I wouldn't siphon for at least the first week, but then again I've recently discovered that Chard can successfully move his fry as young as a day old!
    If and when you do siphon... try having some floating plants (ie cabomba) as they love hanging out in there. Might make it easier for you.
    Chard56
    Chard56
    armageddon hm

Post by Chard56 Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:35 am

My breeding tanks are generally recently set up with fresh aged water with oak leaf tea and the fish spawn within a few days so I wouldn't need to worry about the water fouling. There are those that take longer and dirty the tank by the time they spawn and you will lose fry if not cleaned. I siphon off some water in a container suitable to hold the fry and carefully move them to the container while cleaning and refilling with clean fresh aged water of the same temperature. I use a fine mesh net or a piece of small diameter hard plastic tubing. By holding my finger over the top end and letting go next to the fry they get a free ride up the tube and then put my finger back and drop them in the container. As long as their water is 75 to 84 I wouldn't worry about a heater as long as the temperature doesn't fluctuate to much or go below 75.
    betta1
    veiltail

Post by betta1 Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:56 pm

Woke up this morning and the nest has little tails sticking out of it. Theres still eggs hatching so i cant lower the water level yet. Im well happy, the dad is doing s great job of putting the fry back in the nest. I juts hope i can keep these alive in this size tank.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:47 pm