Betta Bred

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Betta Bred

4 posters

Bumblebee spawn

Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Bumblebee spawn Empty Bumblebee spawn

Post by Nataliey Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:43 am

This spawn is going to be slightly different to what im used to and a lot more scarey!! Iv decided to try and leave the male in with the fry as the fry grow.

BUMBLEBEE SPAWN

Male ~ Black Melano HMPK ~ Import
    Bumblebee spawn 39687410

Female ~ Pale Yellow PK ~ UK bred
    Bumblebee spawn Yellow12

Although im hoping for the Bumblebee colouring (black and yellow) there is also a possibility of red in the fry as the parents of the female where both red this is the females father:
    Bumblebee spawn Red_ma12

Spawning went well and on the first wrap there where lots of eggs
    Bumblebee spawn 40970110
    Bumblebee spawn 39990410
    Bumblebee spawn 39017510
    Bumblebee spawn 38390810

There where lots of eggs in a tiny little nest! As you canimagine the male was busy trying to keep them all in the nest!
    Bumblebee spawn 37741910

The next day the male had moved the eggs from the poly cup to the back of the tank.
    Bumblebee spawn 39614810

As you can see still quite a few eggs nest a tad bit bigger. Now i start to feed the male as much as he can eat 3 times a day. At first he was uninterested, but the next meal time it looked like he was eating then spitting them out. After that he had no problems eating and he gets regular meals as much he can eat 3 times a day.

Christmas Eve i have a few tails hanging, Christmas day lots of tails hanging, Boxing day they are free swimming but there's only a handful of babies left. The male is swimming round minding his own occassionally looking up at the nest that is left, looks like he's checking it for babies.

Iv fed the babies this morning the powdered egg yolk and they seem to be eating it.

27th December 2011

Counted 6 fry last night, this morning they are still there in the corner of the tank behind the sponge filter, some are getting brave and swimming out near dad!

The male is picking them up in his mouth and carrying them round he doesnt look to be eating them as i still have 6.

Just seen the male gather all the babies together and spit them back into the small bubble nest he has built over night, that is a good sign im very pleased with progress, he keeps adding to the nest so he must still be in spawning mode.

Fed the babies powered egg yolk and fed the male as many pellets as he could eat.

Just had a recount at breakfast time and i now see 11 fry.

28th December 2011
    All babies still there this morning hiding in the back of the tank, fry got fed and the male got fed as much as he could eat.

This afternoon iv decided to try respawn the same pair so chimney is back in the spawning tank and the typical behavour is occurring. Bubblenest is being built.

Heres a photo of one of the fry the best i can do until i find my camera!
    Bumblebee spawn 111

Look in the middle to the top where there are no plants.

29th December 2011
    This morning, i still see fry

The respawn isnt going to plan had a bubblenest last night but this morning completely gone, this is what he was like when i orginally tried to spawn him a very lazy bubblenester!

Anyway male and female fed, fry fed.

31st December 2011

This morning i dont see any of the orginal fry but like i said they are in and out of the plants and its hard to see anything.

Although the spawn is showing successful and i have 50+ tails hanging from the bubblenest, male looks exhausted but he's being fed as much as he can eat 3 times a day everyday i may increase to 4 times a day though. Even though his bubble nest building was very poor for the actual spawning he has built a lovely bubblenest now under the IAL and my suprise this morning im very happy with progress.

Still feeding egg yolk powder to the others.

Relieved iv seen some of the fry from the first spawn, taken photos of the second spawns tails:
    Bumblebee spawn 212

Look closely at the bubble nest you'll see thefry's tail.

Heres a photo of the male busy:
    Bumblebee spawn 311

1st January 2012

Got up this morning to find lots of tiny fry wriggling in the nest, still vertical though so not ready for free swimming just yet. Noticed even their older siblings are coming for a look whats going on!

These are some photos of the male and the fry:
    Bumblebee spawn 411
    Bumblebee spawn 510
    Bumblebee spawn 613
    Bumblebee spawn 711
    Bumblebee spawn 810
    Bumblebee spawn 911

2nd January 2012

Today the fry are all free swimming with the male trying to put every last fry back in the bubblenest and of course thats not going to happen!!

Fed the babies this morning with powdered egg yolk and fed the male with as many ocean attison pellets he can manage.

Here's a few photos of the fry today:
    Bumblebee spawn Img_8410
    Bumblebee spawn Img_8411
    Bumblebee spawn Img_8412
    Bumblebee spawn Img_8413
    Bumblebee spawn Img_8414
    Bumblebee spawn Img_8415
    Bumblebee spawn Img_8416
    Bumblebee spawn Img_8417
    Bumblebee spawn Img_8418
    There are loads like iv previously mentioned but the male keeps moving them so hard to get a big group photo!

3rd January 2012

Still have loadsa fry all swimming about now all over the place whereas yesterday they where staying close by to the bubblenest.

The male is still adding to the nest, usually by now i would've taken the male out and the bubblesnest usually gone.

Yesterday i was sure the male was eating the fry as he would swim to the surface where the fry where and suck them up, the funny thing is the fry are attracted to the surface when the male is there they swim all around him. But thankfully he was scooping them up and spitting them back in the nest.

Fry still on powdered egg yolk and male on the OA pellets 3 times a day.

Just seen the most amazing thing ever...the male must've been scooping the babies up and under the nest he starts to spit them out but not one or 2 but whole mouths full of babies, looks like they have been swolled and brought back up but not one of them where hurt, very clever just wish i could get a video of it!
    2tall
    2tall
    black dragon

Bumblebee spawn Empty Re: Bumblebee spawn

Post by 2tall Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:35 am

Hoping you get lucky with a Bumble Bee or more!
    Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Post by Nataliey Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:14 am

Here's the video i promised its a little blurry but just look for the white wriggley dots, firstly he's picking them up then he spits them out under the IAL where his nest is.
    Time-Out
    Time-Out
    green marble butterfly

Post by Time-Out Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:43 pm

You write a great diary, Nat. Very interesting read. I look forward to the next chapter!

Last edited by Time-Out on Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
    Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Post by Nataliey Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:09 pm

Time-Out wrote:You write a get dairy, Nat. Very interesting read. I look forward to the next chapter!

Thanks Dani, but i dont write in milk, hehe dairy ~ diary...

...Next chapter...

4th January 2012

As soon as i turn the light on this morning the fry are all round their dad! He's busy again today getting his fry into the nest! When will he realise he doesnt need to do this, but i suppose its stopping him from eating them.

Looks like they are venturing out further between the plants all over the tank. Looking healthy and very active. The male is looking in good shape too.

Il try and update everyday Very Happy
    Time-Out
    Time-Out
    green marble butterfly

Post by Time-Out Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:56 am

LOL AND you quoted me, so I can't get away with editting my post! At least I have the excuse of a cold. My brain isn't working properly today.
    Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Post by Nataliey Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:02 am

Time-Out wrote:LOL AND you quoted me, so I can't get away with editting my post! At least I have the excuse of a cold. My brain isn't working properly today.

hope you get better soon, im feeling terrible too hate colds
    Chard56
    Chard56
    armageddon hm

Post by Chard56 Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:18 am

After the fry have been free swimming for several days my males start looking at me like, "Will you pleeeeease get me out of here!" Especially that DT spawn with 619 fry. What a wonderful dad he was but I just couldn't put him through any more after taking care of that many for over a week. He still had them all lined up and wouldn't let any of them wander off too far before herding them back.

Last edited by Chard56 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total
    2tall
    2tall
    black dragon

Post by 2tall Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:36 am

Amazing! 619!
    Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Post by Nataliey Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Im not suprised 619 i bet he was exhausted looking after that many fry! Shocked

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 pm