Betta Bred

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Betta Bred

+5
MoonShadow
wassy82
Nataliey
2tall
Chard56
9 posters

Gold Halfmoon spawn....Finally

Chard56
    Chard56
    armageddon hm

Gold Halfmoon spawn....Finally - Page 2 Empty Re: Gold Halfmoon spawn....Finally

Post by Chard56 Tue May 10, 2011 4:16 pm

wassy82 wrote:The blue male would fit right in my sorta line!shame about the other male!
    My youngest daughters mother wanted the Blue BFHM out of all the other 200 plus males I have so I now have to "borrow" him for a spawning with the stipulation that he not get torn up. This from the 10 year old brother.
    wassy82
    wassy82
    king crown

Gold Halfmoon spawn....Finally - Page 2 Empty Re: Gold Halfmoon spawn....Finally

Post by wassy82 Wed May 11, 2011 8:55 am

Chard56 wrote:
    wassy82 wrote:The blue male would fit right in my sorta line!shame about the other male!
    My youngest daughters mother wanted the Blue BFHM out of all the other 200 plus males I have so I now have to "borrow" him for a spawning with the stipulation that he not get torn up. This from the 10 year old brother.

im doing the same only ive got my friends into it,gonna give some of my fry away to them to breed back to to create a line of my own.how many generations before you would outcross?or should you in breed for 5 gens or so?
    Chard56
    Chard56
    armageddon hm

Post by Chard56 Wed May 11, 2011 9:33 am

It's supposed to be okay to inbreed for 5 generations but I've never gone over 2 without adding something different. If there's a trait I want to keep or refine I'll spawn a daughter or neice back to the father and spawn cousins alot instead of siblings. That way I can linebreed longer without inbreeding too much.
    sg1
    fry

Post by sg1 Thu May 12, 2011 9:10 pm

sorry to crash the thread but nat i belive i have just what you looking for having seen this post have answered the pm but will post a picture on here tomorrow and then others can say if it will be a match made in heaven
    Teri
    Teri
    red double tail

Post by Teri Fri May 20, 2011 3:09 am

Chard, will you stop doing this too me!!!! You have some stunning fish and I am jealous Sad
    Chard56
    Chard56
    armageddon hm

Post by Chard56 Fri May 20, 2011 4:09 am

I am so sorry Teri, I didn't realize. Will someone in admin please delete all my posts and my memebership so Teri will go back to her natural color. Green is my favorite color but not on a person. rasp lol!
    Teri
    Teri
    red double tail

Post by Teri Fri May 20, 2011 7:19 pm

Lol... They are beautiful fish hun, I can understand why you are proud of them, I would be too Smile
    Chard56
    Chard56
    armageddon hm

Post by Chard56 Sat May 21, 2011 5:09 am

Oh, thank you. It's one thing being lucky enough to find beautiful males and another trying to breed and raise them to the same standards. I've only had axcess to good Halfmoon males for the last year and a half or so and have had to make do with trying to improve on the finnage of the Crowntails and Veiltails that were available before that. I would occassionally find a female with a few 4 ray branches in their caudal fin and breed them to my best males until I finally have Halfmoon and 4 to 8 ray Crowntail females. I still can't buy Halfmoon females from any of the pet stores in a 100 mile radius and refuse to buy online even though I sell them online now. I don't want someone elses strains or colors, I want my own. I hope that doesn't sound snooty or selfish, I just would rather be proud of what I accomplished not what I accomplished with someone elses work.
    Teri
    Teri
    red double tail

Post by Teri Sat May 21, 2011 8:06 pm

Of course it doesnt sound snotty or selfish. I would feel the same way too.. One day I might be in the position you are, but at the moment I have to still buy in my fish. Mortality rates, poor spawns usually result in one or two babies Sad
    At the moment I have 3 babies from two spawns lol.. But on a plus side they are doing well Smile
    Chard56
    Chard56
    armageddon hm

Post by Chard56 Sun May 22, 2011 4:57 am

If you need some help or advice with your spawns don't hesitate. I went from thinking that raising 20 to 25 fry to adulthood being the norm to averaging 100 plus. If I get less than a dozen it was a bad case of velvet or an oversight on my part. I wish I had a good forum base of information when I launched this project over three years ago. I would be at the point I am now much earlier. Of coarse there are a lot of things I've figured out on my own that I would never have gotten from any existing articles so I have a little more insight and breeding "secrets" that others might not have axcess to.
    Teri
    Teri
    red double tail

Post by Teri Sun May 22, 2011 7:15 pm

Thanks hun.. I am just waiting now to get a few new fish in to start again this season.. I will be giving you a shout to see what advice you can give me along with advice I already have, I might be in with a chance of a reasonable effort Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:43 pm