Betta Bred

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Betta Bred

+10
2tall
Chard56
Nina
MandyD
Storm
damo2904
Time-Out
kel
sgraye
Nataliey
14 posters

Crowntail Pair *video of KINK*

Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Crowntail Pair *video of KINK* - Page 5 Empty Re: Crowntail Pair *video of KINK*

Post by Nataliey Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:18 am

Well i wish my 2nd spawn had worked out with these 2 as iv had a terrible accident...the bottom of my filter tube fell off and Sophie (mum) had been sucked in along with 1 surviving Julii but she was dead Sad Im gutted fry seem fine tho
    BettaLover97
    BettaLover97
    crowntail

Crowntail Pair *video of KINK* - Page 5 Empty Re: Crowntail Pair *video of KINK*

Post by BettaLover97 Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:53 pm

Ouch!~
    Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Post by Nataliey Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:07 pm

Well siphoned my fry tank yesterday and iv done a recount and i can see around 17 babies but i have noticed a lot of the smaller babies get left out at meal times and have died...the others are getting quite big now...il try get photos today.

Im having a problem with green fluffy algae i think its the lamp that i use that shines through the glass altho the tank is very close to my bedroom window.

Any suggestions of how to get rid of it?
    BettaLover97
    BettaLover97
    crowntail

Post by BettaLover97 Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:13 pm

pleco?? o___o
    Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Post by Nataliey Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:17 pm

BettaLover97 wrote:pleco?? o___o

No too messy, i could siphon their poop up but then im afraid the plec may eat the babies as most of them sit on the floor...im thinking of maybe getting some shrimps today to help with the mess on the floor as im constantly siphoing but it doesnt seem to look much different.

Altho i do have 2 baby albino BNs they wouldnt be able to eat the babies and would make that much mess i doubt...mmm...

Thanks for the suggestion Smile
    BettaLover97
    BettaLover97
    crowntail

Post by BettaLover97 Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:21 pm

haha.. welcom.. i have a few more suggestions but i dont know their name =DD
    shrimps will also work.. haha~
    Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Post by Nataliey Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:49 pm

I think its going to be shrimps...i was thinking maybe snails but iv never kept snails other than those pesky little nuiance snails that come on live plants sometimes.
    BettaLover97
    BettaLover97
    crowntail

Post by BettaLover97 Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:44 am

Snails wont get rid of the algae,they'l just eat any uneaten food =)) shrimps do both XD
    Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Post by Nataliey Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:54 am

Ah okay, thats that then...well didnt find any shrimps today but going looking after work tomorrow.

Thanks for the info
    sgraye
    sgraye
    mahachai

Post by sgraye Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:18 am

I had a big problem with the green stringy algea, i bought a baby bristle nose and even he couldnt keep on top of it, it took over my plants and covered every inch of glass, i did have the light on alot i think thats was the problem
    Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Post by Nataliey Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:22 am

sgraye wrote:I had a big problem with the green stringy algea, i bought a baby bristle nose and even he couldnt keep on top of it, it took over my plants and covered every inch of glass, i did have the light on alot i think thats was the problem

How did you get rid of it? Iv put one of my baby BN's in there for now and your right he doesnt seem to be doing much other than sitting in a pot.

Iv been told wood stops algae growth so i put some in today dont know how true it is!
    lisa
    lisa
    hmpk

Post by lisa Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:23 am

Excess algae growth is usually caused by too many nutrients or too much light, and the ways of getting rid of it vary. You can add plants so that the nutrients are used up by something you want in there, or you can add fish or shrimp if there's room, and hope that they will like and eat it, or you can reduce the time your tanks are lit, also, a timer switch may help if you're out during the day, if your tank has no backing picture/background adding one will help by reducing the light that's in there too. I'm not sure the wood will work, but your bn will enjoy it!
    Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Post by Nataliey Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:01 am

Thanks Lisa, i have my light on in my tank from around 7am up until about 12.30am when i go to bed so i think im having the light on fair too much as it only happened when i started usuing the table lamp!

Im going to buy more moss balls for it.
    lisa
    lisa
    hmpk

Post by lisa Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:43 am

I've had similar issues, and have read a fair bit about remedies. You'd be as well off leaving tank lights off if you're out during the day, and having the lights on when you're in and viewing your fish. Moss balls are a good choice, they do use similar nutrients to the algae, and you don't have to keep them in the ball shape, you can flatten them out for landscaping schemes, which would look nice if you did choose to go with a couple of shrimps too Very Happy
    Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Post by Nataliey Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:03 pm

photo updates:
    8 week old fry

Crowntail Pair *video of KINK* - Page 5 8_week10

Crowntail Pair *video of KINK* - Page 5 8_week11

Crowntail Pair *video of KINK* - Page 5 8_week12

Crowntail Pair *video of KINK* - Page 5 8_week13

Crowntail Pair *video of KINK* - Page 5 8_week14

Crowntail Pair *video of KINK* - Page 5 8_week15

Crowntail Pair *video of KINK* - Page 5 8_week16
    Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Post by Nataliey Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:04 pm

Iv also noticed that some of the bigger babies have started to go to the surface and skim it like they are taking a breath...are they now coming of age to take a breath? confused
    Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Post by Nataliey Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:13 am

Im so excited last night while looking very closely at the babies i noticed that one of the bigger babies had colour appearing on his/her fins... bounce bounce its one of the red babies slightly showing red in its fins bounce bounce
    BettaLover97
    BettaLover97
    crowntail

Post by BettaLover97 Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:18 am

Gratz,haha
    Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Post by Nataliey Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:51 am

Just wanted to show you a few photos of the baby with the slight red colouring on its fins/tail:

Crowntail Pair *video of KINK* - Page 5 Slight10

Crowntail Pair *video of KINK* - Page 5 Slight11

Crowntail Pair *video of KINK* - Page 5 Slight12
    2tall
    2tall
    black dragon

Post by 2tall Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:26 am

Great pics! Which Kodak camera is it out of curiosity?
    Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Post by Nataliey Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:57 am

2tall wrote:Great pics! Which Kodak camera is it out of curiosity?

Its a small digital camera Dual Lens 10X optical zoom 6.1 mega pixel Kodak camera...it does take a while to get the perfect photo as it doesnt always zoom into the right thing, lol! Usually the algae on my tank first No
    2tall
    2tall
    black dragon

Post by 2tall Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:31 am

Thanks. At this point I'd take a clear picture of algae! lol!
    Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Post by Nataliey Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:56 am

Im just wondering if anyone knows, why all my grey coloured fry havent survived other than 1 **touch wood** and the pinks that i think will be reds when they get bigger have all survived??

Just curious?
    Nataliey
    Nataliey
    Admin

Post by Nataliey Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:56 am

Iv noticed that some of my fry have their mouths wide open and cant close them like lockjaw...how do i prevent this from happening to the other fry and what causes it?
    kel
    kel
    Admin

Post by kel Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:52 am

\i've not found anything conclusive on reasons for lock jaw but it is mainly weak bones or weak muscles (can be genetics, environmental and malnutrition caused) , parasite/bacteria/fungal or injury caused. Looks like anything can cause it!

Trying to eat food too big or to hard (gravel munch instead of food) causing the jaw to dislocate.

mycobacterium, hexamita and malnutrition seem to be the main causes in fry apart from bad genetics.

large fish that delvelop it can sometimes be cured by popping the jaw back into place but i'd guess that's dislocation more likely due to fighting, injury or eating something they shouldn't.

I've known people who've had simultanous spawns with different genetic parents having it show in the different fry tanks simultaneously so for large numbers of fry having it I would put it as a mainly environmental or nutrition problems with fry.

You say it was only the 'grey' fry who died then the reds all have the lock jaw symptoms, i would guess the reds have got the better/stronger genes than the greys but I would suspect it's either not enough variety at a certain stage of fry development or environmental problems like bacteria that have caused it but again it's highly possible still to just be a bad genetic mix.

I've only had about 6 fry that had lock jaw before and all been from pretty much otherwise healthy although small spawns.

I'm only going by what I've heard or read from others but when I think about it, the times i had the odd lock jaw or bent spines etc. they were all from my first year of spawning attempts when I wasn't so good with the cultures and not so good with feeding regimes either for that matter.

My spawn that i'm starting to jar I have noticed one with a slight tail kink but not seen any others with defects yet out of approx 30 fry. My whites hsould be interesting since I've about 60 of them including the dt genes which you have to expect deformaties.

If I can find anything scientific on the subject I'll let you know hun, I'd like to know myself!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:52 am